1098-T FAQ's

What is the Purpose of IRS Form 1098-T?

The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment status, payments pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, and scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. The purpose of IRS Form 1098-T is to assist you in determining if you are eligible for one or more education tax credit(s).

Who receives a Form 1098-T?

Students who are U.S. Citizens OR permanent residents and who received a reportable transaction during the year. A reportable transaction is defined by the IRS as any tuition, fees, and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.

Who does not receives a Form 1098-T?

The University is not required to provide Form 1098-T for:

  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is enrolled in a degree program
  • Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student;
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships or grants.

When do students receive the Form 1098-T?

University of Illinois will deliver your completed IRS Form 1098-T electronically on or before January 31st every year you have a reportable transaction. Students for which a 1098-T has been furnished will receive an email with instructions on how to retrieve there 1098-T when the form becomes available. The 1098-T is not available electronically for Authorized Payers.

How do I know if I qualify for an education tax credit, and how do I claim it if I qualify?

The IRS provides an interactive online service that can help you determine if you are eligible for a tax credit. You can find this service at https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/am-i-eligible-to-claim-an-education-credit. You may also get more complete information about 1098-T and education tax credits by referring to the IRS Website and review the current versions of the following documents:

I disagree with the data reported on my Form 1098-T. Who should I contact to resolve this discrepancy?

Visit the USFSCO Customer Service office on your campus or call:

UIC - (312) 996-8574
UIS - (217) 206-6727
UIUC - (217) 333-2180

Where can I get information regarding IRS Form 1099?

For questions regarding IRS Form 1099, please contact University Payables Customer Service at 217-333-6583 and 888-872-9953 or upay-1099@uillinois.edu

Where can I get information regarding IRS Form 1098-E?

IRS Form 1098-E is a “Student Loan Interest Statement”. Please refer to your lender.  If the IRS Form 1098-E  needed is for a Federal Perkins Loan, Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL) or University Institutional Loan, please contact USFSCO Student Loans at (312) 413-0303 or slm@uillinois.edu.

How can I get my address on the IRS Form 1098-T corrected?

You will need to update your mailing address.

  • Log into the Student Self-Service website
  • Select "Personal Information"
  • Select “Addresses & Phones”
  • Select “Mailing Address” from the “Type of Address to Insert” drop down menu
  • Select “Submit”
  • Enter the required information
  • Select “Submit”

After you have updated your mailing address, email USFSCO Customer Service at usfscohelp@uillinois.eduNote: Student Self Service will not update immediately – updates will occur at the end of each month. However, any information updated in Student Self-Service will be included in the final file transmittal to the IRS March 31st.

How can I get my social security number on the IRS Form 1098-T corrected?

You will need to download a W-9S form from IRS website at: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9s.pdf, complete it and return to your campus Registration Office.

UIUC Registrar
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Registration Services Unit
901 West Illinois St., Suite 140, MC-063
Urbana, IL 61801
FAX: 217-333-3100

UIC Registrar
University of Illinois at Chicago
Office of the Registrar
1200 W Harrison St., Suite 1200
Chicago, IL 60607

UIS Registrar
University of Illinois at Springfield
Records and Registration
One University Plaza
Springfield, Illinois 62703-5407

I no longer have access to Self-Service and need a copy of my 1098-T? 

If you have graduated or left the University of Illinois and no longer have access to Student Self Service, please visit identity.uillinois

How can I get a copy of my IRS Form 1098-T for years prior to 2010?

To receive a copy of your IRS Form 1098-T for tax years prior to 2010, email your request to USFSCO Customer Service at usfscohelp@uillinois.edu.  The request must include: the student’s name, University ID Number (UIN), the tax year you are requesting and the preferred method of delivery (i.e. fax, email or postal mail). Please provide the fax number, email address and/or mailing address to which it should be sent.