University of Illinois System
Last item for navigation

Understanding My 1098-T

University of Illinois is required to provide a completed IRS Form 1098-T to all students for whom a reportable transaction is made, then to report the qualified financial data to the IRS. Qualified financial data includes tuition, fees, and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.

University of Illinois reports the payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses from all sources during the calendar year in Box 1 of Form 1098-T, and the total amount of scholarships and grants in Box 5.

University of Illinois will deliver your completed IRS Form 1098-T electronically on or before January 31st every year you have a reportable transaction. You can give Proxy Access to authorize other people to view and access your Form 1098-T. Please note that proxy access does not provide access to the student account.

To Access The 1098-T Form



In order to provide you with IRS Form 1098-T, and to report your enrollment and financial data to the IRS, the University must have:

  1. Your valid Social Security Number (SSN):
    • While University policy does not require your SSN in the University’s admissions process, IRS regulations require us to request your SSN, and you are subject to an IRS penalty if you fail to furnish your correct SSN to us. If the University does not have your valid SSN on file, University Bursar will email you to request it. You must use IRS form W-9S to provide your SSN, which may be downloaded from the IRS website.
  2. Your valid address:
    • in order to ensure timely and accurate reporting of your Form 1098-T each year, please keep all your addresses up to date in University records. To update your address:
      1. Log into UI-Pay.
      2. Select “Personal Information”.
      3. Select and update as necessary your “Addresses & Phones”.

Additional Information

For more information about your 1098-T and the University of Illinois, please see the 1098-T FAQs

For complete information about 1098-T and education tax credits, please refer to the IRS Website and review the current versions of the following documents:

Canadian students can request forms TL11A or TL11D by completing a Canadian Tax Form(s) request.



Room 162 (MC 367)
Henry Administration Bldg.
506 South Wright Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Phone (217) 333-2180


Room 1900 (MC 073)
Student Services Bldg.
1200 West Harrison Street
Chicago, Illinois 60607
Phone (312) 996-8574


Room 1001
University Hall Building
One University Plaza
Springfield, Illinois 62703
Phone (217) 206-6727

Payment Address

University of Illinois Payment Center
Student A/R
28393 Network Place
Chicago, IL 60673-1283

Do NOT send scholarship checks to this address. See Scholarship Payments section of our website for more information.